Here is but a sampling of what’s swirling around in my brain:
1. Houston has been 25+ inches below our average rainfall all year, but it rained heavily while we were on vacation and again while we were traveling for Thanksgiving. Which begs the question – is it ME? A few more rains like this last one we missed, and our lakes will start coming back up to a decent level. Burn bans could be lifted. Maybe it’s a coincidence, but what if it’s not? Maybe it’s a sign that we should travel more. I’m willing to take one for the team.
2. I’m about 90% finished with my Christmas shopping. I’m thinking Cyber Monday may just put me over the edge, so today I’ll be searching for internet deals. Note to store websites: 10% off with no shipping? Seriously? If you want to woo me, you’re going to have to work harder than that. I won’t even slow down to browse for less than 40% off so you’d better be prepared to kick it up a notch. PS – I’m totally worth it.
3. The Complete Package smoked a huge brisket last night. He either forgot there are just two of us at home, or he has a serious craving for brisket. On the menu this week – brisket tacos, brisket enchiladas and brisket tamales. I’m thinking some of this may have to go in the freezer. Or I’ll have to come up with more ideas. Please feel free to make suggestions (before I try brisket waffles).
4. I miss Jonah Bear and Lilly Bug. We just saw them a few weeks ago, but I miss them already. They’re growing so fast I’m afraid driving, high school, marriage and great-grandbabies are just around the corner. I’m thinking I should have asked for a time machine so I could slow time instead of that Keurig I wanted. See? Being selfish never pays off. Even with good coffee.
5. Sister #4 made a spectacular chocolate cake for Thanksgiving. It was filled with Nutella and smothered in chocolate Swiss buttercream. Clearly, she is evil.
6. When I run for Governor of Texas or President of the United States, I am going to promise to outlaw highway construction during holiday travel seasons. I think I can win on this platform, although I’ll have to do it without any highway construction company money. That said, I think I could get around that issue by asking for a $5 personal check from every citizen who sat in traffic for 3 extra hours this weekend. As an extra bonus, I would also ban airlines from charging those ridiculous baggage fees and insist that they serve better snacks. Something along the lines of warm Otis Spunkmeyer cookies and hot dog carts. I should totally shop for power suits on Cyber Monday. I think I could win this thing. My first order of business as President will be establishing my Kitchen Cabinet.
7. My dog has developed a new habit of licking our leather sofas. We don’t eat on our sofas, so it’s not the ‘snack factor’ and our sofas are at least 10 years old, so it’s not that ‘new cow smell” either. Does anyone have any insight into this one?
8. It’s finally cool enough in Houston to break out my sweatpants and flannel pajamas. And now that I’ve said that out loud, it will probably be 84 tomorrow.
9. I won a 2-ounce bottle of flavoring from a spice company and they sent me anise – the one flavoring I will never use. If anyone is an anise lover, let me know. I’m happy to share the love. Or in this case, the flavoring I don’t love. Be the first to comment and it’s yours. How’s that for a spectacular offer?
10. As soon as our broken attic door is replaced this Friday, my Christmas decorations are coming down. It’s going to look like Christmas threw up all over my house. I love Christmas. It’s the most wonderful time of the year, you know. Here’s hoping your holidays are merry and bright. And no, that’s not sarcasm.
Peace, love and sugar cookies to you & yours – NanaBread